What are the steps in doing so?

It may be challenging getting a power of attorney for your mother who has a mental illness. I would recommend that you take your mother to an appropriate physician to determine her mental state, such as a physiological neurologist. The neurologist can help to determine her capacity to sign a power of attorney.

If she is competent, she can sign the document as prescribed by law in your state. If not, you may have to begin a guardianship/conservatorship in your state so that you will be able to manage her assets for her. You will then be authorized by the court, to manage her financial and health issues.

Contact an estate planning attorney in your area for the name of a qualified physician. In addition, the attorney will be able to help draft the power of attorney forms, or begin the guardianship/conservatorship process.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The law may vary depending on the state in which you reside. It is intended only to give some direction in which to seek assistance.

Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, I am now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.