My spouse, who has Stage 4 Terminal Cancer, made a Will, but no Trust. The Will states 70% of assets go to me and 30% go to our child. However, my husband owns no property (we rent our home). Am I obligated to set up a Trust Fund for me and my husband’s child (our child is a minor)?

I am so sorry for your difficult situation.

Any assets passing to a minor child through a probate are held in a conservatorship, or trust fund for the child. If there are no assets passing through probate, no assets will go through the conservatorship. Other assets that might go through a conservatorship are life insurance policy proceeds which pass to your child directly from your husband’s life insurance policy, if any.

The best way to avoid probate is with a revocable living trust. I would strongly recommend that you see an estate planning attorney as soon as possible, to see if a revocable living trust is needed to avoid a conservatorship of your minor child’s assets. Don’t delay.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The law may vary depending on the state in which you reside. It is intended only to give some direction in which to seek assistance.

Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, I am now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.