The POA made a verbal contract with me to provide care for the person in question. The person in question has dementia. His wife – not the POA now refuses to abide by the verbal contract and pay the bill. Who do I take to small claims court?

Additional information
The fee turned out to be about $200 since it was canceled the next day.

I don’t know the rule in PA. However, in Arizona there is a rule that says any verbal agreement about a sum of money, or a value (like providing care for someone,) that is worth more than $400, cannot be enforced in court. If the agreement is in writing, it is okay. From your question, it seems like you have a verbal agreement.

In Arizona this rule is called the Statute of Frauds. I would guess that there is a similar rule in PA. That means that the agreement cannot be enforced in a court of law if it is not written down.

Before you file in small claims court, see an attorney in your area to discuss the rules.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The law may vary depending on the state in which you reside. It is intended only to give some direction in which to seek assistance.

Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, I am now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.